Room With A View

One woman's thoughts, opinions and views, as well as my poetry and writings.

Thursday, September 07, 2006


A REAL FIND!

Living in Florida has its definite advantages. However, one of its major downfalls, is not being able to find some favorite foods cooked in the Northeast fashion. One dish is sausage, peppers and onions. I remember the first time this was tried here. It was covered in a tomato –relish type sauce and didn't even come close. Chinese food is the worst! lol At the Publix Supermarket, you can get a Sub the way you would like, because you tell them what to put on. The only condiment they don’t have, is the hot peppers. At least I can get an Italian Sub with oil, instead of mayo and vinegar….the way most order it. Yuck….lol I guess it all comes down to what you're used to:) I can’t understand why someone from the Northeast hasn’t established themselves in the Restaurant business here, because they would be the owners of a virtual gold mine! . There are so many people from the Northeast who reside here!

I do searches constantly to see if I can locate a Restaurant that serves Northeast seafood…in particular..New England clam chowder, Haddock, Flounder, Scrod and fried clams with bellies. I got excited when I was told about a placed called, "Monstah Lobstah, " Though the decor was that of Maine and they did have many Northeast type dishes, the portions were miniscule, compared to what they charged. It was a great disappointment, as this was more of a tease, than a meal..

I was informed last week by a Co-worker, about another seafood place called, “A Taste Of Boston." It had received rave reviews in the paper, so I decided to give it a try. I figured it couldn't be any worse than Monstah Lobstah and if it was, then it would just be a learning experience and the path to finding what I was looking for, would continue. It was located about 25-30 minutes from my home.

“A Taste Of Boston” itself is a small place, where you are over dressed if you’re wearing anything other than beach wear or jeans, so you start by being extremely comfortable. They have a few tables inside, but if you prefer, they also have tables set outside. I was in awe of my surroundings! I had no idea that it overlooked Tampa Bay. The view was spectacular! You could watch the cruise ships and boats. People were sitting on the docks fishing and taking leisurely walks along the pier, which seemed to go on forever. The view was unlike anything I have ever witnessed before. There is a huge park and picnic tables equipped with grills, for those who wish to do their own barbecuing. Across the way, is the State Trooper’s barracks….talk about feeling safe:) and what got me even more excited….if that was possible….was that there was a Riding Academy and Stable located next to the Barracks. Unfortunately for me, there were no horses out at the time, but I do plan on calling to see if they have any trails. The homes that are located in this area, are what dreams are made of and it was fun just driving by them. With all my ooh’s and ah’s, you’d swear I was a child…..not always a bad thing….:), but I just adore experiencing new things and finding new places to go to. I just didn’t realize that this “picture perfect” location was so close to home. And if that wasn’t enough…now I’ll get back to the “food” part.

To say it was better than Boston, is putting it mildly…at least in the category of food that was tasted. The fried clams were Ipswich clams(the sweetest) and fresh, not frozen…… dipped in the lightest of batter and was fried to perfection. The onion rings were the best I ever tasted…..fresh, sliced thin and this too was fried to perfection. The price was comparable to Boston, although I expected it to be much higher….considering everything is shipped here, but the amount of clams received, was far superior. I couldn't believe the portion that was served. The clam chowder was thick and guess what? It had clams in it….lol. The Caesar salad was a definite winner! I am already thinking of the Lobster salad, which will be “the pick” on my next visit.:)

“A Taste Of Boston” and its surroundings truly won my heart and I plan on becoming a “regular.”

If you’re interested in learning where this "treasure" is located, just let me know.
I just might tell you:)

3 Comments:

  • At 7:05 AM, Blogger Rebecca said…

    hahhaha, to say BETTER than Boston might be an overstatement - it's just that you miss everything here so much, it made your experience surreal!! ;)

     
  • At 3:53 PM, Blogger Shayna said…

    Think so????:) Yes, I do miss Boston, but more than Boston....I miss you...my family! My experience was really really not an overstatement. You can see by the picture and that is just a fraction of what was there, plus it was overcast that day.... and the food was phenominal. If you ever come down, we'll go there and then you can judge for yourself:) for yourself:)

     
  • At 3:54 PM, Blogger Shayna said…

    "Judge for yourself, should have only been stated once. I guess I got carried awaw....lol

     

Post a Comment

<< Home