Room With A View

One woman's thoughts, opinions and views, as well as my poetry and writings.

Thursday, July 13, 2006

WHO SAYS YOU CAN'T GO HOME?

Did you ever have a "not so great" day and the most perfect song comes on the radio that turns your frown into a smile?.....or you're having a simply wonderful day and hearing a particular song, makes the end of your day that much nicer? There is a special song that does all that for me. It’s called, “Who Says You Can’t Go Home.”
I've heard it said that you can’t go home again and I never totally understood that concept. If someone does have a true understanding of this phrase, I would love if you could enlighten me.
Sometimes you have to leave the home where you were born and raised, for a multitude of reasons. My reason for leaving, was not because I didn't love it there, but because economically it was just "over the top," as far as my being able to survive and enjoy what I consider to be a good quality of life. It doesn't take someone to be a rocket scientist, to know the difference between the salary you earn, the expenses that have to be paid out and what is remaining. The math speaks for itself, so you look for an answer; a resolvement. You do what you have to do, like it or not.
In Florida, I have a great job, my own home and life is easier here economically. I've met the most friendly and hospitable people here. If I said I didn't love it here, I would definitely be telling an untruth. In this case and for the reasons outlined above, making the move, was a correct decision.
My family lives in the Boston area and I did and still struggle with the knowledge, that I can't be with them as often as I would like. I miss them more than I can say!
I wish I had the capability of moving all the positives that I have here to Boston, but I can't. I wish I had the power to "meld" both worlds into one:)
The bottom line is, that you do what you have to do.
In the words of Bonjovi.... You can take the home from the Boy, but not the Boy from his home. It doesn't matter where you are, doesn't matter where you go...if it's a million miles away or just a mile up the road, take it in, take it with you where you go. I've done just that!
I have wonderful memories of the Boston area. I never lost my "love affair" with the city and though some of the people may change, as well as some of the surroundings....it has been said that, "your home is where your heart is" and Boston will forever, remain in my heart.
This lady can definitely go home again, and will visit as often as she can and I am sooooooo looking forward to it:)
if you happen to be traveling down a Florida highway and see a woman dancing in her seat, singing her heart out, playing a mean set of drums on the steering wheel, don't be surprised or afraid. I really am a very careful driver...lol. It's only me....Shayna, singing my heart out with Bon Jovi and Sugarland and thinking of home=Boston:)

5 Comments:

  • At 5:38 AM, Blogger Don Iannone, D.Div., Ph.D. said…

    I always think of the Bee Gee's song "Massachuetts" when I think of Boston. Wonderful town. Lots of fun too.

     
  • At 11:42 AM, Blogger Rebecca said…

    Hmmmm. I don't know that I agree with the whole of your post on some things, but that's okay.

    You can't go back..it's true though. Once you move on with your life in a direction, you can't recapture what was once there - the moment in time is gone. It doesn't mean it's a bad thing, but it's true - once you change the path you're on - you can't go back to it. Not necessarily a bad thing always....

    There is definitely a sense of home when I drive into our hometown. No matter how much it's changed on the outside, there's a feeling that comes over me once I hit the city border that surrounds me like a warm blanket. It's the sense of home, and while I know it's very different from when I was there and living in the moment - it's a comfortable feeling none the less.

    Great post... :)

     
  • At 6:35 PM, Blogger Shayna said…

    Don,
    I take it you've visited my home town. There's so much to see and do and historically, there is no place like it.

    Rebecca,
    If the bottom portion of your comment to me, was referring to where you grew up, then I totally agree. From the moment I land at the airport, I feel like I've come home. Make sense? I hope so:)

     
  • At 1:36 PM, Blogger Amy said…

    I live in Boston and I share your passion for it. I adore the city. I also understand why you would choose to move to Florida, since it's more affordable and they don't have below-zero weather. There may come a time when I've had enough snow and four dollar espressos and I'll join you down there.

    I think the take on "you can't go home again" is about the change we undergo while living somewhere else. We can certainly "go" back home, but it will never be the same place, because we are different. It's part of the subjective human experience.

    This is, however, a completely theoretical discussion and a bit of an absolute. The only thing that matters is how you feel and what home means to you.

     
  • At 7:45 PM, Blogger Shayna said…

    Black Thong, That's a very interesting concept and one I will take a closer look at. You seem to be interpreting on a much deeper level and one I am most intrigued by.
    After reading your response a 2nd time, it too could be the lyrics of a song.:)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home