Room With A View

One woman's thoughts, opinions and views, as well as my poetry and writings.

Saturday, August 26, 2006

MEMORIES OF HOME

There is a café in the building I work in and of course, fom the time it opens, until it closes each day, the aromas waft through the entire building….all 5 floors, although I'm sure keeping their doors open, is done just for that purpose.:) I don’t each much during the day, as a rule. I tend to work better when I’m hungry, which I know may seem strange to some people. It’s just that for me, eating a normal meal, just makes me sleepy and I can’t get motivated at all, which is not a good thing. Today though, I found my mouth watering over the aroma; more than usual and whatever it was they were cooking, seemed to give me a “ “Mom” moment and I began thinking of some of the meals my Mom would make and how I missed them. We had our share of hamburg, steak and chicken and my Mom could rival the best Italian Restaurants with her homemade spaghetti sauce. She made the best! and I am happy to say that I have her recipe and have passed it down to my girls. She made a few meals that I especially loved, that were extremely simple. Being an adult now and looking back, I realize these meals were made, primarily because they were economical. I didn’t realize it then, and do I care now? Of course not, because those meals bring me back to the warmth of my family. We were not wealthy with having material things.. We were far richer, because of the love that we shared. One dish I recall was made with “bow tie” egg noodles. She would cook them up and then mix cream cheese through the hot noodles. Sometimes we would sprinkle cinnamon and sugar on top. Don’t knock it until you try itJ It is so deeeeelicious and wonderful on a summer evening....especially with fresh fruit for dessert.

I was raised a little North of the City of Boston and used to take the subway to work. When I first began working…and I won’t tell you how many years ago that was, not only was there a pastry shop, but they actually had a Deli and this Deli made the best Rotisserie chickens. I was so proud of having a job and appreciated My Mom and Dad so much….that every Friday, which was pay day…..I would pick my Mom up a bouquet of carnations(they sold flowers in the subway too:) and a barbecue chicken with all the trimmings for our Friday night meal. I was so proud of the fact that I was able to do this.

To be sure……the first items I list when I go shopping this week, will be for the "bow tie" dish. I’m going to get comfortable, have a sizeable portion..:) and remember “when”:)

Regardless of your age, you are your parents’ child. I miss my parents very much and what I wouldn’t give……to be hugged by then, just one more time. Memories……sighhhh, It does a heart good!

1 Comments:

  • At 4:31 PM, Blogger Rebecca said…

    Yum, I used to love when you made the noodles with cream cheese for me. :)

    Yup. It's the little things in life that bring back the happiest of memories. Sometimes something as simple as a smell...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home