Room With A View

One woman's thoughts, opinions and views, as well as my poetry and writings.

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

AMERICAN IDOL AND MEMPHIS
Well, it was another night of fun as the Idol judges ventured to Memphis, in search of the next American Idol. I didn’t know there were “speech and/or enunciation” problems in Memphis, but there seemed to be more than a few contestants who sounded like they had a hot potato in their mouths. Diagnosis anyone??? Watching Simon’s expressions, as he attempted to figure out what they were saying was priceless and I think my own expression could have been one of those “Kodak” moments….lol Here is a synopsis of what Memphis had to offer:

Tamika sang “Rock with You” There is no way she would have ever gotten her point across in this lifetime, since you couldn’t understand one word she said. Let me emphasize that…..not ONE word…lol I won’t begin to comment on her singing ability.

Chris sang Superstition and he was just plain bad – nothing further to add.

Travis – I can’t remember what he sang and I’m possibly having a mental block on it…wonder why? Lol He was just “off the top” and crazy

Christopher – Footloose – The judges felt he was doing bad karaoke and I had to agree.

Janita – Disco inferno - You felt like you were in the middle of hell after listening to her…lol

Robert – Burning Love – His version, has ruined my future listening of this song and I do mean forever. I will always carry a mental image of Robert attempting to sing this song and it’s not a pretty sight, nor was it for my ears either…lol

Frank – Heard It Through The Grapevine – He’s the Captain of a Cheerleading team and some band members, along with part of the cheerleading sqaud came with him for support. I liked his voice and was surprised that the judges didn’t. They said it was way over the top. I didn’t quite understand that, but then again….who am I? When you have an answer to this, please let me know, because I haven’t a clue….lol When Robert left the room, the band began playing. This infuriated Simon and after spouting off some of his thoughts, he actually went into the hallway and told them to shut up…lol

Danielle – Baby I Love You – Simon & Paula pushed her through to Hollwood! Randy wasn’t really impressed. I thought she was okay, but didn’t have a distinctive sound.

Sundance – Stormy Monday – His Dad is Roy Head and had a hit single in my day..... called Treat Her Right. He has a “teddy bear” quality to him, which is, in my opinion, an endearing quality. As Simon stated, he embodied the blues. His voice was perfection and you could feel his emotions just radiate, with each note. Simon commented, that if he didn’t make it to the finals, he’d be surprised. He had the best voice in every way, from the auditions so far and in Simon’s opinion….blew Taylor Hicks…out of the water!! What you say Simon???? Lol, but I have to agree. His voice is more powerful, he sings with extreme intensity and every note is “right on”. He, without a doubt, earned and received the “golden” ticket to Hollywood!

Sean – God’s Gonna Cut You Down – If you were to look at this guy, he resembles Castro…..fatigues, long hair, long beard etc….also reminded me of someone from the back woods. You'd have to see him, to know what I mean. A mental image, just doesn't cut it. If you were to base the conception that he could sing, on his appearance, you would say…no way! However, looks can be mighty deceiving. I liked his voice a lot. They Judges felt he was “soulful”, so off to Hollywood he goes!

Melinda – For Once In My Life – She was awesome!!! Simon said he was amazed how so many who had no singing ability at all, can walk into the room with all this confidence(that they shouldn’t really have) and here….someone with extreme talent, who has a spectacular voice, has no self confidence at all. Simon said she was brilliant and as for her going to Hollywood? Simon said 1 million times Yes!!

Phil – My Girl – This guy missed the birth of his second daughter, as she came into the world….the day of auditions at 4am. There was no way he wanted to leave Memphis, without a golden ticket and even more so, after this revelation. Phil has a unique quality in his voice that sets him apart from others. . He got his wish, received the golden ticket and is on his way to Hollywood!
Postscript:A tender moment was shared, when they showed a proud Dad, holding his beautiful baby girl, Micalah, in the hospital!

In all, 22 extremely happy people, were selected to go to Hollywood. The next stop is New York. Bring it on!

2 Comments:

  • At 6:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I only watch this show late in the season....after some of those with voices that remind me of fingernails scrapping a blackboard have been weeded out. LOL Appreciate the update, thanks!!!

     
  • At 7:58 AM, Blogger Rebecca said…

    I still don't see anyone "amazing" yet...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home