Room With A View

One woman's thoughts, opinions and views, as well as my poetry and writings.

Wednesday, March 14, 2007

AMERICAN IDOL & LIVE STAGE PERFORMANCES
03/13/07

Diana Ross was the musical Mentor for this first show.

As Paula stated, peforming in a concert hall, as opposed to a small stage in the round….. and growing from a small band, to orchestra accompaniement, is quite a change and I knew the excitement and “jitters”, would take its toll on this, the first perfrmance for the final 12. I was rooting for them, as were the millions watching.

Brandon
sang “You Can’t Hurry Love” and nerves definitely got the better of him. Though he has a pleasant voice, this performance, was by far the worst one to date. He lost the lyrics and was pitchy. He definitely took a beating from Simon.

Melinda
sang “Home” – She has so much believability as a Singer, with every word delivered straight from her heart. She sang not just lyrics, but a story and she brought me to tears with her performance. She was the “chill” factor for me and if I had to select right now, without a doubt, she would be my American Idol !
Among other accolades, Simon stated that Melinda reminds him of a young Gladys Knight.

Chris SLigh sang “Endless Love”. You know…I really do love the quality of Chris’ voice, but did not like his unemotional performance at all. He could have been singing a grocery list and it would have affected me the same way. He did give the song a more updated arrangement, which I liked, but the judges were all unanymous in not. Simon remarked that Chris had turned a beautiful song into a complete and utter drone.(That’s Simon for ya) lol

Gina
sang “Love Child”. Though I love her “Rock” image, this was not her best performance. I think she did far better last week. Though the song is not one of my favs, Gina pushed way too hard on her vocals and it seems that when she stretches her voice, she is screaming, more than vocalizing. Simon called it a “middle of the pack” performance

Sanjiya
sang Ain’t No Mountain High Enough” and there isn’t a mountain even low enough that would have me vote for him. He just doesn’t have the strength in his vocals, though it was the best performance to date from him, but personally, that isn’t saying much. His new do seemed to go over big….lol As simon stated….Sanjiya is going to have to explode with his vocals, but can he? I don’t think he has it in him.

Haley
sang “Missing You”. Haley has a crystal clear voice with such wonderful tone quality, but she can’t project her voice. Diana Ross stated that Haley has a beautiful studio voice, but not necessarily one for the stage. Haley was nervous and did forget some of the words….Now…. Simon has in the past….called her “forgettable” etc etc…nothing positive, yet this time, he brought Haley to tears because of the opposite reaction. Simon didn’t think the performance was all that bad. He was very impressed with her presence, because now she is memorable to him, as to the audience and he feels that she is a better singer, than he first thought!

Phil
sang “I’m Gonna Make You Love Me”. I love, love, love his voice. He gave a strong powerful performance and listened to Diana Ross, when she told him to “connect” with the audience. He did a great job….Now, can someone do something about his lack of hair? I usually could care less about outward appearances, but there are some guys that just don’t look good bald. I really thinks it distracts from his appearance. Okay…..just my opinion and after all, this is a singing competition…..I got it! Lol:)

Lakisha sang “God Bless The Child”. Kiki delivered another outstanding performance and as always, her vocal was right on! Simon said….you’ve either got it, or you don’t and you’ve got it.

Blake sang “You Keep Me Hanging On”. Hip Hop Blake, made this song his own ….However, he didn’t seem to be as comfortable performing, as he has previously. Okay performance

Stephanie
sang “Love Hangover”. I hate to admit that I really don’t know this song and that amazed me. I thought I knew all Diana Ross songs. Stephanie was strong vocally and seemed very confortable on stage, but she did lose some words and I’ve enjoyed past performances more. The judges felt they had been teased, bcause Stephanie chose not to make the chorus, part of her arrangment.

Chris sang “The Boss”. I don’t know what it is about Chris. I want to like him….I really do, but each time I hear him…..it just doesn’t happen for me. He has such a nasal quality to his voice and to me, it isn’t pleasant, Was not a good vocal performance in my opinion.

Jordan sang “{If We Hold on Together” – Jordan is a breath of fresh air! She’s 17 and comes across as though she has been performing since exiting the womb. In other words, she has a natural gift…. There is such clarity in her young voice and she gave a brilliant performance. Jordan can illuminate the stage with her smile. She was my “Chill factor” tonight.

As it stands right now, (this woman’s opinion),….there are only 3 serious contenders, in the running for the American Idol……
Melinda, Lakisha(KiKi) and Jordan.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home